Monday, February 13, 2012

Crazy Lower Back Workout

I have not had a computer so I am a little behind on the blog! I'll try to get you caught up on what I've been doing. I felt reallly good on the day I did this workout, and so it took a while to complete because I added a few more exercises. I'm going to go ahead and warn you that you will think that you are going to die after the 3rd exercise. Your lower back will probably tighten up, but it will loosen up after a few minutes, don't worry!

10 minute warm-up
     - Pace: 3.5  Incline: 7.0
     - Get a good burn in your legs for this workout.

Kettle bell swings
     - 3 sets of 10
     - Grab a 10lb kettle bell and start swinging. If you have not done these before look for a 5lb kettle bell to start with first.

Ab bench
     - 3 sets of max reps
     - These stretch out your back after the kettle bell exercise which really helps with any stiffness you might feel.

Hyper extensions
     - 3 sets of 15
     - Ahhh...after I got done with these I kinda thought I was crippled for life. However, they really pumped my back up and my muscles stood out which looked cool!
     - If you want to take these to the next level you can hold a plate to your chest.
Leg raises
     - 3 sets of max reps
     - I'm really beginning to love this ab exercise. I am noticing a definite change in my lower belly.

Pull-throughs
     - 3 sets of 10
     - Really push yourself on this exercise. They give such awesome results that you don't want to miss out on them. These work so many muscles! Your backside will be looking good after doing these once a week.
Kettle bell side bends
     - 3 sets of 10 both sides
     - I couldn't bend over or shift very far the next day because of these. That tells me that I don't work my obliques nearly enough! Grab a 5 or 10lb kettle bell (or dumbbell) and hold it in one hand by your side. Bend sideways at the waste until the kettle bell reaches your knee then stand back up.


Butt blaster machine
     - 3 sets of 10 both legs
     - I think the actual name for this machine is "kick-back", but I like butt blaster better. The one at my gym looks a tad different, but the general idea is the same.
     - Your butt muscles will hate you after this exercise! Those were the muscles that were most sore the next day I think.

Side planks
     - 3 sets of 15 both sides
     - I am obsessed with this new exercise. Once my core gets stronger I think that I will see more results from my other workouts too. This exercise plus the kettle bell side bends will make you one sore lady in the morning, but it is soooo worth it!

Hamstring curl
     - 3 sets of 10
     - I hate this machine. It makes me feel so weak. I know it just means that I need to work on my hamstrings, but I still hate that feeling. All you do is lay down and literally kick yourself in the butt.


Notes from Courtney: I really enjoyed this workout. I felt like I really got a lot accomplished. If you do not have the time to do the full workout; I suggest the kettle bell swings, leg raises, hamstring curls, and kettle bell side bends. That way you get in lower back, hamstrings, and abs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment