Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Arms and Shoulders (quick routine)

So I am just now getting around to writing the blog from February 3rd! I have been incredibly busy lately, and I just now got a chance to sit down and write it all out. This was my first full workout by myself on this new schedule, and I think it went really well! I thought I would give up easy and/or not finish my workout at all. I normally need extra motivation, but I did it all the way through! Here is what I did...

10 minute warm-up on treadmill
     - Pace: 4.0  Incline: 7.5

Shoulder raises
     - 3 sets of 10
     - I don't think I've ever showed you this exercise before. If I have I can't remember, and I'm too lazy to go back and look. Shoulder raises consist of three different exercises that you do back to back without rest. So you do all three sets of 10 and then rest. Do that three times.
     - The first movement is a side lateral dumbbell raise. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms down by your sides with your palms turned inward. Raise your arms straight out beside you. That is one rep.
     - The second movement is a front lateral dumbbell raise. Keep your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms down in front of you with your palms facing toward you. Raise one or both arms straight out in front of you. That is one rep.
     - The final exercise is a dumbbell row. I've showed you this before, but here is a refresher. Keep your feet shoulder-width apart with your knees bent and lean forward keeping your back flat. The picture explains it better than I can!
     - Do not use an excessive amount of weight for this exercise. 8lbs was about all I could handle.
Pull downs
     - 3 sets of 10 reps
     - The machine I used for this exercise looks like this:
Tricep extensions
     - 3 sets of 10
     - These are the extensions where you lay on your back and bring the dumbbell back over your head and back up again. These really blast away all that extra arm flab that keeps shaking after you stop waving. Again, 8lbs is a good weight for this because your arms will get very tired and very sore very quickly!

Cable curl
     - 3 sets of 10 reps
     - This exercise is on the cable machine. The bar needs to be in the lowest position so you can curl it upward.
     - I ran into my first problem working out alone while doing this exercise. Someone had pushed the bar all the way to the top of the machine, and I couldn't reach it to put it in the position I needed it to be in. I had to ask some tall guy on the machine next to me for help. Short people problems!

Notes from Courtney: I was actually really impressed with the jump in my numbers. My shoulders and arms have always been a weak point for me so I'm glad to finally see some progress. My spaghetti noodles are finally getting some definition! All-in-all it was a good first workout alone. I stayed focused for the most part, and I replayed a few of Cory's pep talks in my head when I felt like going home early.


No comments:

Post a Comment